Wednesday, September 12, 2018

The Makel Family Moving Saga

Oh boy. You guys are in for a story today.

So, my family consists of my parents, me (20 years old), my younger sister Leanna who is 18, my younger sister Katelyn who is 16, and my brother TJ who just turned 15. For sixteen years the six of us lived a townhouse. When my parents bought that house they didn't plan on it being our forever home but, life happened and we never ended up moving out.

Over the last couple of years various members of my extended family have begun to leave our hometown where my moms entire family lived for years (we'll call this town "M Town" so that nobody finds me and kills me), and they have all slowly but surely begun moving to a city we will call "B City". B City is significantly cheaper than M Town. It is about 40 minutes south from M Town and consists of a lot of farm land, a lot of houses, and pretty much nothing else. At first, when my extended family members began moving there, my parents, siblings, and I didn't want to follow them just because we were so used to living in a city that had everything you could imagine within a 5 mile radius. However, after a year or so of back and forth on the subject, we decided that maybe moving to B City wasn't such a bad idea after all. I mean, sure we were no longer going to have a grocery store across the street or 16 different Starbucks to choose from, but, we would get to be close to our family and have a much bigger and nicer house for a fraction of the price it would cost my parents to buy a bigger house in M Town. So this past May, we got a realtor, and decided to sell our house.

Putting your house up for sale isn't really a "simple" task. A lot of our furniture and other belongings had to be packed up and stored at my aunt and uncles house and in my grandparents basement. We had to paint every wall, every ceiling, and every baseboard in our home. A contractor had to be hired to remove our deck stairs and fix other small issues we had on the outside of our house. We basically spent the month of May painting, cleaning, and packing the entire house. A lot of screaming, crying, and name calling ensued amongst our family that month. But then, Memorial Day Weekend came and our house went up for sale.

Within 12 hours of our house being on the market we got an offer which almost never happens. Houses are typically on the market for days, weeks, or months before an offer comes in so we were all ecstatic to get an offer so quickly. And not only was it an offer, it was a good offer. The potential buyers offered asking price AND didn't want to go through with an inspection. Not having to worry about an inspection was huge because you never know what a house inspector is going to find that you're going to have to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to have fixed. So, naturally, my parents excepted this offer almost immediately and we went under contract. Being under contract meant that we could begin to look at and put offers on homes so two days later we went out and did just that.

We looked at one house that we thought we would love based on the pictures but after seeing it in person we weren't as thrilled. So we went to see another house that our realtor recommended we go see. We had seen this house online and none of us were huge fans of it but we thought "hey, might as well humor him", so we went to see the house anyway. Immediately, upon walking in the house we fell in love. It was the perfect size, had a beautiful kitchen, a huge unfinished basement that had so much potential, and a beautiful backyard. My parents put an offer on this house that same day and it got excepted the very next day! We were all so excited by how smooth, quick, and easy this moving process had been and we were all excited to be moving on June 26!

Little did we know, that excitement would be crushed...like 4 times. Stay tuned for part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment