Friday, January 16, 2015

The secret behind sponsored YouTubers!

Hi guys!

If you don't read my blog regularly or know me in person, then you wouldn't know that I am indeed a YouTube beauty guru! My YouTube name is KatelynandKylie and we're trying to reach 1000 subscribers so if you enjoy beauty and lifestyle videos then you should check us out and maybe subscribe!

You may or may not know that I do indeed make money from YouTube. However, I don't make any money from my main channel, KatelynandKylie. Katelyn is on one of the SAKs channels, SevenEpicDancers! Through that channel, we make money. Different companies choose to put ads on her videos or sponsor the channel and we make money from that. I get half of all the money she makes because I edit and film all her videos for her!

Now I'll be honest, it isn't a lot of money. At all. But the cool thing about it is, we both get to make some extra money from doing something that we absolutely love to do! And that's how it is for all YouTubers.

Lately, I've been looking for some companies that are willing to sponsor my beauty channel and in doing this, I have become aware of how much some people HATE sponsored YouTubers. I never really noticed this until recently, and I don't understand it.

When people start YouTube, they don't start it for the money. I obviously can't speak for everyone but a lot of the beauty gurus who everyone claims to be "fake" and "only in it for the money" started when they were 11, 12, or 13 years old. Most people start YouTube because they see other people doing it and it seems fun. That's why I started. Making money is a bonus. When I started YouTube, at 11 years old, I had no idea you could even make money. Of course after years of making videos, when I realized that I could make money and that I could potentially make a living from making YouTube videos, I was thrilled! I do want to make money from YouTube and I would love to be able to live solely off of money I make from being a YouTuber, but that's not at all why I started.

YouTubers see sponsored videos as a way to make money from doing something they love, and nobody can say that they wouldn't do that. Imagine you play soccer (you can replace this with whatever hobby you do), and it's something that you love to do! You work extremely hard to make sure that you're the best soccer player you can be, and eventually people start noticing you for your soccer playing abilities. One day, a company contacts you and wants to pay you to wear there brand of soccer pants at your next game. All of a sudden, you're being payed to just do something that you originally loved doing! Then imagine you're still well recognized for playing soccer and companies keep contacting you to use their products in exchange for money, so you do it but then everyone starts calling you fake, telling you you're only in it for the money, telling people not to support you because you get paid to wear certain pants. You're being attacked, and accused, of doing something that you aren't even trying to do. How do you think you would feel?

This is how YouTubers feel every day. People are constantly criticizing YouTubers, for being paid to do something they enjoy doing. It's stupid.

When YouTubers promote a company, they often have a discount code so that you can get a discount on that product! Why is that a bad thing? The money made from sponsored videos, often goes to new cameras, editing software, lighting, materials needed for videos, and even giveaways! All of that is bought for the subscribers! Why are you hating on YouTubers for giving stuff to their subscribers?!

And if you're one of the people who just don't think YouTubers deserve to make money because what they do isn't hard, and isn't a job, well let me tell you something. Having to come up with creative video ideas (so that you aren't told you're "copying Bethany Mota"), find time to film these videos, and then edit them which is even harder and takes even longer than filming, making the thumbnails and uploading the videos on schedule, and then having to deal with all of the hate you get on a video that took you easily 20 hours from start to finish, is hard. YouTube is hard and every YouTuber, deserves to make money from working as hard as they do.

If you were able to make money doing something you loved to do, you would do it. So before you go to leave a mean comment on a sponsored video, put yourself in the YouTubers shoes.

I'm sick of seeing people constantly calling YouTubers, beauty gurus especially, fake for making money. Nobody does it for the money, nobody does it to be rich and famous, and that is the secret behind sponsored YouTubers.

I love you guys!
Kylie


No comments:

Post a Comment